Idler gear

Discussion of the 2wd Buggy line.
BigBill

Idler gear

Post by BigBill »

The S1V4 comes with two idler gear options. Plastic says stock and the aluminum says modify.

What are the advantages/disadvantages from one to another besides strength. There must be a reason they included both.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Idler gear

Post by Admin »

That's pretty much it. Lighter weight in stock racing has always been a focus. More so now than ever before with the equality of equipment available.

There is even a Steel Idler gear for those oval and drag guys... 28T Steel: PRR66480040

You just need to monitor the top shaft when running the alum/steel idler gears for the hard coat flaking off. We've seen it on other brands recently... once the hard coat is gone the top shaft eats itself. I assume its the same with PR, I have not had the problem myself though.

-Scott
BigBill

Post by BigBill »

So the 21.5 turn class I run this buggy in might be good for the plastic gear... im not at any high level so I'm not sure I'd notice it, but it is something to think about.

Thank you.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Yes, for sure. It won't be any type of durability concern in 21.5. I've run the plastic idler gear in 17.5 buggy for a couple seasons and now in my oval cars...13.5 Street Stock and Sprint car without issues.

I also may or may not be running the aluminum CV bones for the 401 in my 2wd cars for lighter rotating weight.

-Scott
BigBill wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:12 pm So the 21.5 turn class I run this buggy in might be good for the plastic gear... im not at any high level so I'm not sure I'd notice it, but it is something to think about.

Thank you.
BigBill

Post by BigBill »

I mightvhave to look into the aluminum cvds for next season. Also waiting for the lighter direct drive to be available in the states.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

The Direct Drive spur system should be here soon. Hoping they were actually available when announced.

-Scott

BigBill wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:23 pm I mightvhave to look into the aluminum cvds for next season. Also waiting for the lighter direct drive to be available in the states.
BigBill

Post by BigBill »

I will definitely be ordering the direct drive. Had a blast racing my s1v4 in the limited amount of races this last season, can't wait for the next season!